Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Women supporting women?

When I am skeptical of something, I watch for the trend to see if it is real. I read something recently that caught my eye.   The article talked about how executive women still don't help executive women-and with the tone of the article --I felt the writer was saying "like they should."  I have never been a believer in support without knowledge.  And I don't think support should be assumed.  I didn't think much more about the article until last night. (so I can't remember which of the 20 magazines I get it was in!)

This discussion came up when Oprah Winfrey supported Obama and not Clinton for the presidency.  The same seems true for the City of Tampa.  The current Mayor Pam Iorio did not support Rose Ferlita but rather the male running-Bob Buckhorn, who won last night.

I think it is a step in the right way when people can support who they want to support and not the assumed:"You are like me, so I will support you." attitude.

I think there is a shortage of support all around.  Sharing the insight into a profession someone wishes to pursue needs to be a common trait.  Unfortuantely, in the age of networking-and rolodex derbys of card collecting --the establishment of true relationships is getting lost.

Maybe that is why I like Chambers of Commerce;  you get to know the community and the people in it.  I feel comfortable referring people from the Chambers to which I belong.  We have common ground.

I was a Girl Scout-a First Class one-so I know the work that goes into that.   When I know a woman has been a First Class Scout too-I know somehting about her--more than we share the same gender box.  But I know that when I see an Eagle Scout too.

Are we past the time when assumptions will be made about who we support?  Are all women suppose to support all women no matter their knowledge of them?  Or have we evoled to the point of recognizing that good people are in both sexes and that we can, as indiviudals make up our mind as to who to align ourselves with.

I am going to watch this trend or non-trend.  I would love your thoughts.